CCH carried out many projects in Clongowes Wood College, Clane, Co. Kildare. These included restoration, refurbishment and repair work to the Castle building (a Protected Structure), which forms the centre piece for the composition of the school.
The Castle is a building rich in history. Both the Castle and estate were bought by the Jesuits in 1813 and opened as a school the following year. The school began in the Castle and the old kitchen (existing green-room and proposed performing arts room) and the block containing the former refectory (existing concert hall) and study hall were added to the original Castle building in 1816.
The brief from the Jesuit Community for the Castle focused on upgrading parts of the building accommodation, mechanical services while incorporate universal design elements.
The existing bedroom accommodation was redesigned to provide en-suites bedrooms for the community, while improvements were also made for the teaching staff accommodation on the ground floor.
lifts where provided to access all floors, thus making the castle accessible for all users. This in turn prompted the relocation of the community dining from the ground floor to the first floor of the Castle.